EMS System
Emergency medical services is provided to you through the inter-workings of several different agencies and entities, all working together for a common goal: quality patient care. Agencies including the EMS office (training/certification), SUNCOMM (City of Yakima 911 call-center), Yakima County Fire District #5 Dispatch, local fire departments, White Swan Ambulance, AMR, ALS and Prosser ambulance services, and our four local emergency departments. Associations who impact the EMS system with their work and recommendations include the Yakima County EMS & Trauma Care Council, the Yakima County Fire Commissioners Association, the Yakima County EMS Operations Board, the Yakima County Fire Chief’s Association, The 911 Admin and Operations Boards, the protocol committee, the quality improvement committee and the Yakima Board of County Commissioners. The EMS community is working hard to ensure that Yakima Valley residents have access 24/7 to high quality, efficient and effective prehospital responses and prehospital patient care.
Funding

The Yakima County Department of Emergency Medical Services and your local fire departments fund emergency medical services through a countywide EMS levy. Yakima County has had a countywide EMS levy since 1991 when it was first voted on and approved by Yakima’s voters. Since that time two renewals of the levy have been passed, one in 1996 and the second in 2002. The current levy is due to expire on December 31, 2013.

By law (RCW 84.52.069), EMS levy funds can only be used to provide emergency medical care or emergency medical services. In Yakima County, 88.5% of the EMS levy is distributed among 21 fire departments to provide a revenue source for items such as apparatus, rescue units, medical and trauma supplies, rescue gear and tools, volunteer and full-time staffing, facilities and more. The other 11.5% is received by the Yakima County Department of EMS (EMS Office) which provides the annual training, required by all EMS providers, certification and recertification assistance, Medical Program Director, Quality Assurance & Improvement and administrative oversight.

In order to provide a fair and equitable distribution of funds to the varying fire departments throughout Yakima County a distribution formula was established. The formula consists of three parts; Assessed Value, Population, and EMS runs (aid calls). The spreadsheet linked below shows the estimated distribution of funds for the 2012 tax year.

2011 County Wide EMS Levy Information PDF file PowerPoint version PowerPoint file

2012 Estimated EMS Levy Distribution form PDF file

2013 Estimated EMS Levy Distribution form PDF file

EMS Office

The Yakima County Department of Emergency Medical Services or “EMS Office” offers initial, ongoing and certification services to aspiring EMS providers, and experienced EMS providers. The EMS office works in conjunction with a local Medical Program Director to provide prehospital patient care protocols, guidelines, operating procedures, and quality assurance to the community. To learn more about the initial training programs offered through the EMS office read below.

Are you interested in becoming an Emergency Medical Technician or EMT?

The Yakima County Department of Emergency Medical Services (EMS Office) offers two courses a year. To apply for the course, please do the following:

Submit an EMT application to the EMS office with a copy of your driver's license and high school diploma or GED.

If you have questions or would like to order a copy of the upcoming course schedule, contact Diane Koch, EMS Secretary at (509) 966-5175.

Apply Online

EMT application PDF file
EMT application Word file

EMT Careers

Most EMTs will volunteer in their community at the local fire department. Yet others will become employed by a local ambulance company or fire department. However, EMTs have been known to find work at emergency departments, general clinics, specialty clinics such as a burn center or heart center, FEMA, contracted by private industry and military establishments. EMT-IV Technicians have found employment at places such as the American Red Cross or hospital laboratory utilizing their phlebotomy skills.

The Yakima County Department of EMS is happy to assist in providing information to local EMS employers, however this department has no influence over the hiring practices of any entity other than this office itself.

For information and whether an agency is hiring please see our Agency Directory and contact those individual resources.

 

Emergency Medical Services in Yakima County
When to Call
What constitutes an emergency and when should you call! 911 .... more
When to Call 911
EMS in Yakima